Create a Quilt
The steps below are a general outline of the process of creating a quilt. If time permits, please take photos and journal your adventure. Making Memories enjoys sharing your experience to encourage others to participate.
Request the bridal gowns
Making Memories quilts are created by groups or individuals that assume shipping costs and all expenses of additional supplies, such as batting, fabric, thread and notions.
Request a shipment of bridal gowns.
While you are waiting for the shipment, decide on a quilt pattern to make, knowing that most of the fabrics will be white/ ivory/ beige. Many quilters have chosen the crazy quilt pattern and embellished the blocks with laces and trims. Others have selected traditional patterns and pieced onto a foundation layer. There are no requirements. You make the creative decision.
- Have your scissors ready when the shipment arrives. Open the box of gowns then remove the embellishments, cut fabrics and start sewing.
- Suggestion: if possible, start taking pictures of your quilt as you begin working on it and at various stages towards completion.
- After piecing the top, add batting and backing then machine or hand quilt.
- Bind the quilt.
- Finishing Touches
- Add a sleeve to the quilt back so that it will hang properly when photographed.
- Add a label
Create quilt luggage (a pillow case to cover the quilt for shipping and proper handling).
- Ship your finished quilt.
- If you have any questions in the process of working on your beautiful Quilts Against Breast Cancer quilting project, contact LaNelle Herron at 817-845-8430.